Wednesday, August 7, 2013

It's only August right???

Today is a Jason and me day. Zach is with his dad and the other 3 boys are back at their moms for this week. Anyways I was moving the laundry around and cleaning up the dishes from lunch with Jay in the living room playing computer  and having full control of the TV. ( Lucky kid) And he starts screaming "MOM! MOM! It's my favorite Scooby Doo! Don't' change it!!!!" Like I was anywhere near the TV in the first place. So when I finish with the chores I was doing and needed a turn on the computer to send an email and of course surf my pinterest and Facebook ~ Yeah I'm a junky, I noticed that it's the Halloween episode. Of course Jay is still going on about how its his favorite one ever better than the ones with the real people and all, which is saying something coming from Jay because he has been Scooby Doo's biggest fan since he was about 2 years old and even though he is now 10 his bed still has a Scooby Doo comforter and pillows on it. I think he likes the fact that the dog talks and gets into trouble, but who knows when it comes to Jay.


This of course gets us started on a Halloween related conversation, which then leads to a what do you want to be for Halloween this year question.  So we pull up party city's web page and start looking at the same old tired costumes that you see year after year after year and the only thing that changes about them is the price ~~ It just keeps going up. And with a family of 7 to outfit for one night of the year because it would be uncool to wear the same costume as you did last year not to mention the boys grow like a bunch of weeds I am having a really hard time justifying $40 too $60 each for a one time thing. We did this last year and ended up going from store to store looking for the right costume and of course couldn't find what everyone wanted and ended up spending too much money and way to much time!



So this year I am thinking it would be great if I could "make" everyone's costumes. Maybe not sew them from scratch mind you, I don't have a sewing machine, but I can hand stitch anything when the need arises. So we are going to see if we can find some super cool ideas that everyone might like and then I am going to use my crafty imagination and see if there is away that I can pull this off for minimal money anyways. Now that I am at home all the time with the kids anyways why not put my time to good use? I can only clean the house so much before it gets repetitive. I saw an amazing idea on my Pinterest where a smart mom took one of those morph suites and put her kids in all black clothes on top of it and turned them into a shadow! Imagine how freaked out you would be if a shadow knocked on your front door.  And lucky me we have one from last year that Zach refused to wear because "It showed his junk" (I am still shaking my head at that one.) and another from where Kaleb was a ninja morph suite. But seriously if you look on the internet you can find all kinds of cute ideas for home made costumes. Another example was to be a minion, you know from despicable me, those cute little yellow guys. They took a yellow long sleeved shirt, you could probably find one in a 2nd hand store or even a white one you could dye yellow, and a pair of jean overalls, also which you could probably find in a 2nd hand store if you didn't already have some, a pair of black gloves and some kind of glasses to make the eyes look funny and boom you are done!



I will be sure to keep everyone updated on how well this works and turns out for us, but as of right now I am very hopeful and even excited about this one. : ) Now if I can just get the kids to go along with it because you know Mr. Wonderful is all about saving money so he is already on board. AH I love having "one of those minds". Hope everyone gets an early start too so it's not such a stressful holiday for anyone trying to fight the crowds and going from place to place in search of that perfect one night for the year costume like we were last year.
Oh and if you don't want to make a homemade costume yourself but want something sexy and different www.therightsideofthebed.com has some really cute costumes and more are added daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment