Monday, August 19, 2013

It's a crafty day for Elle.........

Today I decided I would get some of the crafts I have been wanting to do and just hanging on to out of the way. The first thing I wanted to get done today was my bathroom window. I know it sounds crazy, but we live so close to the neighbors that they can seriously see right into my bathroom window from their front porch. I had a sheer curtain hanging up, but you could still kinda see in so we even put a small sized blanket over the window. So........ I had bought this cool stuff that is called frosted glass. I had originally purchased it to use on a different project, but I will share that with you guys another time.

For today however I used it to cover over the bathroom window. It really was a simple project and I don't know why I haven't done it sooner, like 7 months ago when we moved in and the girl who used to live next door told us that the creepy dude that lived in our house before us used to keep a camera in the bathroom window and take pictures of her on her porch. IDK some people are just freaky and not in a www.therightsideofthebed.com kind of way. So it's pretty simple and straight forward to use. It comes in a spray paint can and you just hold it back and spry what you want frosted. It comes out kind of white looking, but not exactly and when it dries it lets the light still shine through, but blocks enough of the view to where I can shower in peace and not worry that I might be flashing the neighbors. : )


It wasn't totally dry when I took this picture, but this is pretty much what it will look like. The best way I can think to describe it is when you take a really hot shower and the window fogs up. Same kind of thing. This makes me very happy!!!!!

Ok next project:  I have been hanging on to this one for about 2 years, go figure I would get in a move your ass on the craft kind of mood today and give it a shot. I have always been a fan of tea sets, especially mismatched tea sets. So I went around to some thrift stores and found a couple of small tea cups and plates that could work together and I have turned them into candles. (Please note this is my first attempt at this so it could get better lol)


To start I glued the cup to the plate with liquid cement. Then I got the wicks and the soy wax from the Micheal's and I used the same glue to stick the wick to the bottom of the cup. Then I put it away for like a year : )


This is the wax I used. Seemed easier for me to melt the wax in the microwave instead of using a double boiler on the stove, that and I was being lazy and didn't feel like scrubbing out a pot after I melted all the wax in it so I also used a plastic container that had sour cream in it. ( I did run it through the dishwasher first)


See lazy with my craft. Next I put the wax flakes into the plastic container. This will take more wax than you might think if you decide to try this one. I just poured some in and started melting it and then realized it needed more so I put more in.

That's what the wax looks like in the bag before I put it in the container. And yes I am sure this is wax and not something else for any of my friends who have that thought because I know when I took the picture I thought it looked a little like a large bag of white powder too.


I started microwaving it for about 30 seconds and nothing happened so I put it in for 30 more seconds, still nothing. Then I got impatient and wanted to get to the good part so I put it in for a whole minute and it started melting faster.  (just keep checking it every once in awhile)  After a minute I took it out and swished it around to see if there were any chunks left, luckily for me there weren't and I could get on with it. I was excited at this point and forgot to take a picture for you guys to see. In my first candle I didn't add any kind of coloring just a splash of vanilla extract which did some strange things in the wax and looked like oil in water. Guess my candle might smell good and have some spots in it. Oh well who cares I like it : )


You can kind of see the spots towards the side of the cup, but they were though the whole candle. This is the point at which I made sure my wick was sticking up straight so I didn't have a sideways burning candle. Then I started over again skipping the two extra 30 seconds in the microwave and just started out at a full minute. As my wax was melting I thought I would like to have a more autumn smelling candle since it has been such nice fall weather the last few days. I went digging through my spice cabinet and come across some cinnamon and nutmeg, and some birthday candles! I know funny find, but I figure that birthday candles are candles, they do burn and they are already colored so I grabbed two red ones and start breaking them up and pull the wax out. I threw the colored wax in with my wax and let it melt a little longer. Then I dumped the spices in and swished it around too. Next I dumped it all into the other tea cup that I had.

It looks kind of purple to me right now, but when they finish setting up I am sure they will both be a different color. Anyways that was my first try at candles and I am good with the way they came out. To me the best part of crafting is if I don't like it I will just throw it away. : ) Mr. Wonderful will of course come home and tell me it is great and I should do something like sell it online. Which I have started to think wouldn't be the worst idea he has ever had. Guess we will just wait and see. 

I did read somewhere when I first started looking this craft up that after the wax sets up you should cut the wick down to just about even with the top of the container, in my case cup, to help with not catching shit on fire. Go figure they want you to enjoy your candle and not burn your own house down who would have thought???  I have another thing that I am working on today, but I will save it for another post since I haven't started yet and I was excited to get this up before I finished it. What do you expect from me? 3 crafts a day,  laundry, a clean house and dinner?? Well I do have all the laundry washed, dried and one load to finish putting up and dinner is already in the marinade becoming yummy and the house is actually clean including all the beds made. I'm like super mom today, my super powers are being good at home stuff lol, too bad it's not at making a shit ton of money!!!!  Oh and I have also decided that I will be typing in the first five chapters of the new book today as well since I still have an hour and a half before the kids start getting home and it's time to do homework!!


No comments:

Post a Comment